Login   Register

It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Post subject: EGR flow too low
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
Site Member

re: 94 850 T
I've been getting the code for "EGR flow too low" for some time. Finally decided to take things apart and clean out the classic clogged EGR port in the intake.

Well, the intake port is clear.

The EGR itself is oily and gooey, but not caked / coked with hard material. I soaked and shook with carb cleaner and got some brown to rinse out, but not a lot.

Once it was dry, I tried to suck on the vac port, and I could hear it moving and releasing. Don't know if that's a real test. Can the spring / piston area be gunked up enough that it's not opening far enough?

I hate to just replace it when it seems fine. Are there other tests I can do? Could that metal pipe to the exhaust have some clog in it near the exhaust end from oil blow by? Is it the vac controller (which is also an expensive part) ?

More clues: I replaced the PCV hoses and oil separator box with all new OEM. The big hose from the box to the turbo inlet was filled with oily foam, and the plastic pipe had broken inside the foam insulation, so that the foam insulation was filled with goo. That was probably a clog or a vac leak, or both (?)

There doesn't seem to be an o-ring on the vac tree opening on top of the throttle body.

There is one missing injector rubber cushion ring on cylinder #5.

(Also broke one of those EGR upside down bolts - what a pain. Is that a dealer-only bolt or can I find an automotive 8mm flange head bolt the same length?)

Thanks!

It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:07 pm