Login   Register

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 am

Post subject: 850 plastic vacuum hoses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Member

94 850T
Any reason Volvo used those hard wall plastic vac hoses? Were they cheap? Were they supposed to last longer than rubber?

Either way, here is my question -
These hoses, at 20 years on, are brittle. I'm taking off the intake manifold and replacing the PCV system. Fixing / replacing things while I'm in there.

I lean on something trying to get those EGR valve bolts out, and I snap another vac hose. Of course it's one that disappears under somewhere.

There is a vac hose that connects to the front of the intake or EGR, goes across behind the driver's side headlight, and is clipped to the hood release cable at the driver's front corner. Then it dives under the battery and follows the fender under the air box. It curves out towards the master cylinder and enters a plastic sleeve with some wiring and goes into the firewall above the pedals somewhere.

Where the heck is this line going? To the vac / boost gauge? Why else would an engine vac line enter the cabin?

If I can't trace it, I have to splice onto it. I'm looking for some soft vac hose that I can slide both broken / cut ends into that's not too loose. Can't be too big either - I wouldn't want to clamp onto that plastic hose.

Thanks for any ideas -

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 am