Login   Register

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Post subject: 67 122 estate steering brakes and suspension
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Member

What are the limitations of the stock suspension.

I'm at a turning point time to make a decision whether to keep the suspension or replace it.

I can keep the stock front end with swaybar, good bushings and new joints or,

Replace with aftermarket crossmember, arms, and brakes.

I would also like to speed up the steering and add power assist, probably a rack.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've seen the Swedish Ops stuff, but there are a few things I don't like about them.

Post subject: Re: 67 122 estate steering brakes and suspension
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Member

OOOOps! Looks like the Swedish Op's deal is smoke and mirrors....

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=277499

Won't be sending any of my hard earned to Robert........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Member

Brakes-
Avalanche brake adapters have been re-badged by Brick autosport in the Netherlands. They're going to be running approximately $200.00 EURO... I luckily got in a group buy on TB, they were a little cheaper. That would lie you run wilwoods and 11.5" rotors. Or theres the Volwagen in Frankenstein on here that runs wilwoods on stock rotors.

Steering-
Find a rack from a nissan 240 and add a quickener like the drifters do. It's probsbly one of the few racks with enough travel to actually follow what the original stuff had. These things have a tight turning radius!

Suspension-
I recently have been looking at some MustangII stuff on Summit racing and it looks like fully adjustable coilovers from Q1A is doable and pretty sweet looking! I need to double check all the measurements but you may also be able to use some adjustable A-Arms and wilwood drop spindles if you did a bunch of homework.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Member

I have been looking at the Morrison IFS but that is really heavier than needed. Plus a huge impact on the wallet for a dubious gain.
I'm looking at the Factory steering geometry and they did some really strange things I assume it was to make it turn very sharp.
Thanks for pointing out a quickener
A steering quickener and an inline power steering servo would make the Factory steering happy.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search.html?query=power+steering+servo

New ball joints and urethane inserts with some Bilstiens and IPD sways should fit the bill.

That leaves the brakes, I'd like to have a vented rotor.

I'll probably use a dual master balance bar pedal set

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Member

going vented rotor will be tricky... 164 stuff might work, but will leave you with the 5x108mm odd ball bolt pattern.

Wilwood might be the only route that will let you keep the 5x4.5 bp. Or adapt a mustang rotor and caliper?

I am currently piecing together a Wilwood setup on the front. Boris at Brick-Autosport in the Netherlands has the rights to the Avalanche Performance Wilwood adapters - http://www.nordic-car-parts.com/

These let you run a 4pot caliper on a .81" thick vented rotor... I have the other parts list somewhere... I can dig this up for you later if you want... the adapters are 200 euro, but I have a set if you to talk about them shoot me a PM... maybe we can work on something :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Member

I am looking for a domestic rotor the has the right diameter and offset, I can drill any bolt pattern I want.

They don't need to be drilled or grooved just vented to you can get more than one hard stop out of them.

Actually at this point I am going to work on my drive train and do a wait and see on the extras.

I have read that the front brakes are very good and I am inclined to believe that since there is such a limited availability of replacement hardware.

Maybe I can just drill a stock rotor and send some cooling air it's way.... Add some good pads and use them up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Member

I was disappointed to find that the "power steering servo" i linked to is not a servo but a control valve for an external cylinder.

Not a deal killer but it would have been sweet to have a self contained unit.

http://sweetmfg.biz/home.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Member

what about using a 240 rack? there was a guy selling a manual rack on turbobricks.com earlier this week and I think he's still got it. That would give you a similar steering angle without having to drive a pump. Of course you'd have to fab a way to mount it. I'm not sure if they are front or rear steer, meaning in the front of the crossmember or at the back of the crossmember.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Member

I'm going to have to do some studying on why Volvo did what they did with the steering on that car, before I screw it up with a rack.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Member

It was cheap, and they had a ton of it... Those steering boxes came on most of their cars from the mid 40s through the mid/late 70's. A rack is much more user friendly in the forearm department... I daily drove my 122 wagon for 2.5 years with a 13" Grant steering wheel... Now I see a physical therapist weekly for tennis and golfers elbow...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 am 
Site Member

After studying the OEM steering and geometry, I feel that what they did was to enable a high steering angle and provide the needed ackerman effect at those angles.

I want to speed up the steering and keep power assist, I already have a pump on the motor.

The rack width is critical to minimize bump steer and I think I will have trouble cutting down an OEM power rack.

Sweet has a large selection of racks I am looking at now.

Ratios widths and assist effort are selectable.

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 pm