Login   Register

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:25 am

Post subject: More M40/M41 top plate questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Member

I'm planning my drill strategy now that I have both the M40 and M41 out of their respective cars. I'm switching to an M41, but using the long shifter and top plate from my M40.

Here is a picture of the M40 top plate. Note that the reverse switch doesn't appear on the top plate itself, but to the rear of the main housing on that little shelf.

Next is a picture of the M41 top plate. I've noted what I think are the reverse and overdrive lockout switches.

Finally, a picture of what that little shelf looks like on my M41. It is bare on top, with no switch.

What I'm thinking is that I find a way to remove the reverse switch and shelf from the M40 and bolt it directly on the M41, replacing its bare shelf. Then I simply drill and tap the hole in the M40 top plate for the overdrive switch.

Two questions. Can I convert the M41 to an M40 style reverse switch, which looks much different in size and location to the M41 variant? Second, does that little raised semi-circle I've highlighted on the M40 top plate actually mark the location I should drill, or am I being too optimistic?

Post subject: Re: More M40/M41 top plate questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:12 am 
Site Member

I want to know the answers to these questions too! I will be doing the same thing with my '68 142 this spring...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Member

crashbox wrote:
I want to know the answers to these questions too! I will be doing the same thing with my '68 142 this spring...

I figured out everything this weekend and it's all good to go. PM me later this spring and I can tell you everything you need to know!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 am 
Site Member

drj434343 wrote:
crashbox wrote:

I figured out everything this weekend and it's all good to go. PM me later this spring and I can tell you everything you need to know!
Butttttt, then all the people who come on here looking for that answer will have to PM you too? lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Member

It makes me feel important when people PM me.

Actually, it didn't seem like there was enough interest to warrant the extra work. However, if Kyle asks, I guess it needs to happen!

The short answer on the reverse switch is yes, they can be readily swapped. The entire aluminum shelf comes off and screws right into the waiting M41. The M41 style reverse switch gets its actuation slightly differently, but can work on an M40 just fine.

The hole for the 4th gear switch does indeed get drilled on the raised pattern I pointed out earlier, but a better indicator is on the underside of the top plate, where you'll see two cups. The less centered of the two cups is the right one, but they're there to give extra wall thickness for threads, otherwise you'd risk stripping out the thin top plate when screwing in a sensor. Simply drill and tap a centered hole right in that cup and you're good to go. No measuring required. I believe the threads were metric size 18.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am 
Site Member

Nice! Now I know for when I one day own a 140 again and want to keep the long shifter. :D Thanks Jason!

I'm surprised about the metric threads though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 pm 
Site Member

KLR142 wrote:
I'm surprised about the metric threads though.

Me too! Most of the car appears to be US, but there have been a few random things that were metric, this being one of them.

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:25 am